Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Nicotine and surgery

So last night I had a strange dream.  I expect this will only intensify as I get closer to my surgery date.  Anyway, the dream was about my Dad smoking around me.  I was frantic to get away from it and angry he wouldn't stop.  What does this have to do with my surgery?  Interestingly enough when I was doing my initial consult they wanted to know if I had smoked, how long, and how long it had been since I had stopped smoking.  I smoked off and on for 10 years, and haven't smoked in 9 (man talk about aging myself lol...hey I started smoking YOUNG).  They went on to persist about the smoking to which I had to assure two different people at two different times that I do not smoke anymore, nor do I want to .  Come to find out that if there is any nicotine found in my system they won't do the surgery.  I was told to stay away from second hand smoke as it's affects on me are just as bad.  So, I will be tested at pre-op and right before I go in to surgery as the smoking has such a devastating effect on oxygen in the body you aren't considered a candidate for surgery.  WOW!  Maybe that explains why smokers have often times an ashen pallor.  Lack of oxygen.  Needless to say I haven't smoked in so long I should be just fine. 

Well, off to the gym.  Today is my baby's 5th birthday.  Quite a celebration.  Ode to my health, well being, and future without a skin flap sagging.

I will do my measurements asap and take pics at the gym today.

No comments:

Post a Comment